Saturday, June 4, 2011

4th race, 5th place

Let the games begin!

Last Sunday was my first triathlon of the season at Shawnigan Lake 1/2 Ironman.  Great races are a pretty wicked way to start your racing season.  Especially when it's your 4th one.  Now, mind you, even though it's the 4th, I've only picked long ones, so to be fair, I've had a good amount of race time for only 4 races.

My history of triathlon is short.  And it goes like this:

#1 - "Triathlons are fun"
2009: Oosoyos 1/2 Ironman: 5:56:58
33rd place (F), 5th in my AG
My swim was 51 min, including panic attack, plus, off course swimming and a chat with the kayak guy.  "Do you want to finish the race"....uh, yes please.  I now know this time was on the slow side.  I came 97th out of the water, of, 104 women.  But as they always do for me, things got better and I ran it into a sub 6.

#2 - "Swimming can be scary"
2010: Oliver 1/2 Ironman: 5:21:19
38th place, 9th in my AG (to be fair, a more competitive race, despite my 35 min PR)
Swim was 45 min.  But this included a fairly lengthy cold water panic attack, 50m of breaststroke, and about 750 of backstroke.  This really makes you take a beating in the energy department, but, if you go with the concept that moving forward is good, you'll get there.

IMC 2010: just delightful (photo credit to JH)
#3 - "Ignorance is bliss"
2010: Ironman Canada: 10:58:13
I believe top 50 F (including 16 pros), and 10th in my AG.
It was great.  Point to point.  I loved it and during the run I got sad because I didn't want it to end.  A blissful 1:17:17 swim, and it just got better from there.  On that day, ignorance really was bliss.  I had no idea what to expect and I got everything I ever wanted.


Finally...
#4 - "Cut to the chase"
2011: Shawnigan Lake 1/2 Ironman: 4:57:38
5th place, 2nd in my AG (only a 24 min PB, rats)
Now, the game has changed.  I swam a 34 min something.  Remember, I swam 51 not so long ago.  Non-swimmers take heed.  Anything is possible.  I'm not going to be the fastest swimmer, but, I have a feeling I'm going to become one of the best chasers.  Some people are fishy swimmers, rockets on bikes, stars in transition, my secret weapon is going to become the chase.  Be afraid, I'm-ma comin' to getcha.

So that's the long and short of it.  4th race, 5th place.

Ok, to the race report.....

Shawnigan 1/2 bulleted Race Report (because the Canucks are playing and this is intermission):

-Yes, this was a cold swim.  My best advice to others is buy a neoprene cap and strap that sucker on (they allowed gloves and booties - who knew??? not me, or else the only skin you would have seen on me would be my chin)

-This was a cold swim, but it wasn't uncomfortable (when your hands are numb they're not painful, they're just numb).

-I got the feeling back in my hands by the 2nd lap of the bike.  That's not too shabby.  Feet came back about the 3rd.  No worries there, as that's great timing for a nice 4th lap and a trip to transition.

-I biked harder than I had in previous races, not really knowing how it would feel - it felt pretty good actually - I'm going to try that again.

-The run.  Ouch.  That's what you get for not running for a month.  Ok, lies, I ran, but not very much, and I didn't really like it.  A marathon on May 1st took a meat tenderizer to my legs and didn't let up, for what seemed like an eternity.  I was told speed wouldn't be there.

Well, that was certainly true.

In the second half of the run, sufferfest began, things got ugly, and then a little uglier.  However, going
back to great depth of triathlon experience, one thing always holds true, 'going forward is good' - and you just can't quit.  Don't quit.  You might lose time, but you certainly gain some character.
legs.  love hate. loved them then, hated them now.

So, cobwebs dusted off after focusing on running up until May and not doing a triathlon since last August,,  I am getting very excited (finally, not feeling scared!) to race the next race, and the one after that, and on and on.

Victoria, see you in two weeks :)  Vancouver, see you in 4.

And I looked up "chase" just to make sure I was picking the best secret weapon.  Mmmmm, gamey triathletes.  My vegetarian roots just might be in trouble.  I smell spandex.

chase 1  (chs)
v. chasedchas·ingchas·es
v.tr.
1. To follow rapidly in order to catch or overtake; pursue: chased the thief.
2. To follow (game) in order to capture or kill; hunt: chase foxes.
3. To seek the favor or company of persistently: chased me until I agreed to a date.
4. To put to flight; drive: chased the dog away.


Crazy?  Maybe.  But I'm having fun.
seriously. this is me having fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment